Welfare assistance

Updated 1520 hours, 18 January 2012


Find out more about tax relief for Nelson residents affected by the floods.

Work and Income

Find out more about assistance for Nelson residents affected by the floods.


Housing New Zealand have provided the following website links for people to access information about current housing that may be available:











Registration required

People who have left their houses must register their whereabouts with your Council – including, where possible, email addresses and cellphone numbers. This is to enable residents to be contacted regarding the status of their properties.

Having a registration number is essential to apply for financial assistance through the Civil Defence welfare payment which is provided by Work and Income.

Civil Defence Welfare Payment

This payment helps people who have been evacuated due to a civil defence emergency, with costs for accommodation, food, bedding, clothing and loss of income.

You may get a Civil Defence payment if you:

  • have had to leave your home because of the emergency (you have been evacuated) or
  • were away from your home at the time of the emergency and can’t return to your home due to the emergency.

Being eligible for the Civil Defence Payment also depends on:

  • you not being able to cover your costs from either insurance (or you haven’t been paid yet)
  • whether you have access to other aid (such as public donations or other government or charitable relief funds).
  • You must also be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who normally lives in New Zealand and intends to stay here.

In most cases it doesn’t matter what you earn or own and Civil Defence payments don’t usually affect other benefits.

To apply for this payment please call into your nearest Work and Income Service Centre. For general help, advice and information contact the Government Helpline on 0800 77 99 97.